Week 2 Excavation Round-up
In week 2 we continued to excavate both Trench 1 and 2 whilst opening a further two trenches in our second resistivity survey area. Like the earlier trenches the topsoil and subsoil were packed with modern and post medieval material, which we are currently working our way through with the help of home-schooled children and their parents. Hopefully in next week’s report we will be able to discuss some of our findings from these two trenches.
Meanwhile at Trench 2 we have excavated through the topsoil and subsoil to expose two modern ditches that we were able to pick up on the land surface and follow across site. These were filled with topsoil only, so appear recent. However, during cleaning of the section sides in Trench 2 a large cut for a potential ditch was exposed.
We were worried that we had somehow missed the cut whilst digging but further cleaning clearly showed that we had just skimmed the western edge during the section clean up. Unfortunately, the only way to explore the feature will be to extend the trench, so we can see the shape of the cut in plan and possibly retrieve evidence from the fill.
Trench 1 has also proved interesting this past week, as we have worked our way through a heavily compacted clay deposit to expose archaeological layers. The first layer to be exposed contains clusters of rubble. Dug into this we then found a linear cut with a loose fill of soil. In Week 3 we will be exploring this feature to try and determine what it is.
This feature corresponds nicely with the resistivity data we collected, demonstrating that our results and interpretation are correct. Hopefully we can find some of the other features suggested by the res survey in other parts of the site in coming weeks!
We are currently in the process of recording the features uncovered in Trench 1 and Trench 2. Once this has been completed we will begin to remove the fill from our linear feature in T1 and explore the large cut feature in Trench 2.
Finally, in other news, a little bit of research has confirmed that the circular feature we found during strimming is in fact one of two wells recorded on the site. A resident of the Court House before its demolition in 1969, Mr Edward’s, recalled the following:
“The house well should not of course be confused with the brick trimmed well in the internal field a little to the west of the house, which was also capped or filled in before 1924.”
So that is one little mystery solved!
If you would like to get involved with the excavation at the Court House or any of the other activities we have going on as part of the HLF funded Discovering Bromborough 2 please click here to head to our sign up page.